Group members from a major ecommerce company were seeking a fun and collaborative team building activity that they could play in the same room where they were holding a meeting. Find out why a portable “The Suitcase Mystery 2” experience was the perfect solution.
About the Major Ecommerce Company
The company was established in Tokyo, Japan, and is engaged in electronic commerce as well as online retailing. In addition to its business-to-many ecommerce platform, which is one of the largest ecommerce sites in the world, the company offers financial services, as well as online content and communication services.
Recently this company was selected for the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Additionally, the company has been listed as a component of other major ESG indices, such as the FTSE4Good Index Series, the FTSE Blossom Japan Index, the MSCI Japan Empowering Women Index (WIN), and the S&P/JPX Carbon Efficient Index.
As part of a team building event, the company organized for one of its new department teams in Shibuya, Tokyo, the company wanted an indoor activity that would allow the team to engage with each other and get to know one another.
The Challenge: ” What team building activity can we do in a conference room without leaving it? “
A good team building experience does not require you to go far in order to have fun. It is common for corporate groups to not have a lot of time to leave their meeting spaces and make the journey to an off-site location in order to participate in a team building event.
This was the case for the team of 25 employees from the ecommerce company. Following the long state of emergency here in Tokyo as a result of Covid-19, the group was planning an in-person team event, and wanted a fun activity that would also enable them to bond with their teammates to kick off their day of meetings.
However, there is a catch. The team did not want to leave the conference room.
Our Solution: “ The Suitcase Mystery 2 ”
A fun indoor team building activity, The Suitcase Mystery 2 was the perfect solution for this ecommerce company.
On the day of the event, employees were surprised to find a mysterious suitcase on the tables in front of them, and were given the task of solving the mystery inside.
A simple conference room with chairs and folding tables was transformed into their own “puzzle room“. The activity included maps, puzzles, and locked partitions with clues concealed within them.
The team’s objective was to find clues, solve the puzzles and recover the missing code within an hour before the clock ran out.
In the end, the team was able to crack the final code within 30 minutes, demonstrating their ability to communicate and collaborate under time pressure.
Highlights from the activity include:
- In total, there were 25 employees split into 5 groups, who all worked together and collaborated as a single team at the very end.
- The e-commerce company was able to hold the team building activity at the same location where their conference event was being held
- The hint system we provided was used several times, making good use of their resource management.
- As a result, employees had the opportunity to bond and get to know each other better in a fun and interactive way
- Keeping a close eye on the clock was also an indication of effective time management
- A number of employees contributed their areas of expertise to solving different puzzles in the conference room, and the group was very effective at listening and communicating in order to resolve their issues quickly.
- Despite the fact that the activity was held in the same conference room as their meeting, everyone enjoyed themselves immensely.
The Result: “ The Suitcase Mystery 2”
- The customer provided positive feedback
- They were able to communicate effectively and solve the final puzzle as a team
- Relationships and engagement between members Improved
It was a seamless event and the team thoroughly enjoyed themselves. They had this to say about their indoor team building experience: